Recipe yields: 8 bagels
- Warm water- 360ml (1 ½ cup)
- TSA Instant Dry Yeast - 5g (2 tsp)
- TSA T65 Bread flour - 520g (4 cups)
- Sugar - 15g (1 tbsp)
- Salt - 5g (1 tsp)
- Oil - 10ml (2 tsp)
- Egg white - 1
- Water- 1500ml (6 cups)
- Honey - 60g (¼ cup)
- In a bowl, add the flour, sugar,salt, yeast and water. Mix them for 2 minutes.
- Then, take the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough for 4-5 minutes.
- Lightly grease a bowl with oil and place the dough in the bowl. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel. Allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 60-90 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Shape the bagels: When the dough is ready, punch it down to release any air bubbles. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces.Shape each piece into a ball. Press your index finger through the centre of each ball to make a hole about 1.5 – 2 inches in diameter.
- Preheat the oven to 218°C (425°F).
- Water bath: Fill a large, wide pot with water and honey. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-high. Cook the bagels for 1 minute on each side.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the egg wash on top and around the sides of each bagel. Place the bagels onto each lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Remove from the oven and allow bagels to cool on the baking sheets for 20 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.